6th ID units alerted for possible retaliatory BIFF bombing attacks

MANILA-- Units of the Maguindanao-based 6th Infantry Division are now on alert for possible Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) bomb attacks following a bombardment on the lawless elements lair early this week.

Capt. Arvin Encinas, 6th Infantry Division public affair office chief, said the discovery of improvised bombs at the BIFF lair in Barangay Tee, Datu Salibo town, could mean that the bandits have more in store.

He issued this statement when asked what threat the group of BIFF commander Salahudin Hassan alias "Bungos" could still pose after the air strikes and artillery on its lair earlier this week.

No bodies were found on Monday and Tuesday's strike but ground troops, conducting follow-up operations, recovered four improvised explosive device and information that two BIFF members were killed.

Encinas said the group of Hassan is known to have carried out several bomb attacks in Central Mindanao in the past.

Abu Toraype alias "Muawiya," an Indonesian leader of the Jemaah Islamiyah seen with Hassan, had previously mingled with foreign bomb experts Abdulbasit Usman and Zulkifli bin Hir alias "Marwan".

Hassan and Toraype were seen at the lair and were the subjects of the operation, but neither were found after.

Source: Philippines News Agency