AFP donates P3.5 M to beneficiaries of fallen 44 SAF men

THE Armed Forces of the Philippines has donated P3.5 million to the beneficiaries of the 44 members of the Special Action Force who were killed in the Mamasapano clash last January 25.

Armed Forces chief General Gregorio Catapang Jr. turned over the donation to the Philippine National Police officer-in-charge, Deputy Director Leonardo Espina, at Camp Crame on Tuesday morning.

The AFP said the money was raised from the contribution of military personnel from different units. The AFP has collected a total of P3,565,410.00 that will be equally distributed to the families of the slain policemen.

The donation represents the P30 personal contribution from the soldiers’ meal allowance.

“We have recognized the financial needs of the family members who were left by our gallant policemen. This is a simple gesture of appreciation from their partners from the Armed Forces,” Catapang said.

The voluntary contribution came even after the military has been blamed for delayed reinforcements in the Mamasapano operation supposedly due to lack of coordination.

An amount of P1 million was also raised at a charity event last March dubbed as “Song for Heroes.” This was given to families of six soldiers slain in the all-out offensives of the military against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters last month.

Part of the proceeds also went to more than 33 soldiers who were wounded, the AFP said.