DOT, MUO to meet this week to discuss possible restaging of Miss U in PHL

MANILA-- The Department of Tourism (DOT) and Miss Universe Organization (MUO) are set to meet this weekend to discuss the possible re-staging of the Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines next year.

On the sidelines of a press conference in Makati City on Wednesday, DOT Undersecretary Kat De Castro confirmed that they are in talks with the MUO for a back-to-back hosting.

They (MUO) will be arriving Friday. We're going to discuss it, De Castro said.

She said that it was the MUO that approached the DOT first.

To recall, MUO President Paula Shugart previously described the Philippine hosting of the prestigious beauty pageant as the best show she has ever done.

This is the best show I've ever done. I'm honored to have a panel that consists of former winners, Shugart said in a previous press conference.

The last Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines was held at the Mall of Asia Arena in January 30.

The private sector, including former Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis Chavit Singson's LCS Holdings, shouldered all pageant expenses.

Singson earlier said that he was open to the possibility of again sponsoring the pageant.

Source: Philippines News Agency