Dumping of drug suspects in Manila Bay ‘hearsay’ – Palace

MANILA-- MalacaAang on Monday branded as hearsay a report alleging that bodies of drug suspects were being dumped in Manila Bay.

On Friday, Qatar-based news network Al Jazeera published a report quoting a Filipino fisherman as saying that he and his buddies have been dumping bodies of drug suspects in highways and in Manila Bay on the orders of the police.

In a Palace briefing, Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra dismissed the report as mere allegations since it has not been substantiated with any other evidence.

"Well, as far as we are concerned, those are mere allegations. If there are no evidence to back that up, then that remains as hearsay, Guevarra said.

After the report was published, detained Senator Leila de Lima, one President Duterte's staunchest critics, called for a Senate investigation into the alleged practice, which she dubbed "bangkay sa bangka."

The Senator, who is imprisoned since the last week of February due to drug charges, said the practice may have been one of the reasons why the number of deaths in the war against drugs has not been updated or altogether been kept from the public.

The government has repeatedly pointed out to local and foreign critics that the number of deaths being reported as killed in the war against drugs -- from 7,000 to 9,000 -- were overblown.

Latest Philippine National Police (PNP) data show that a total of 3,200 drug personalities were killed in legitimate anti-drug operations in the first year of the Duterte administration.

The PNP has also determined that out of the 12,833 homicide cases from July 1, 2016 to June 16, 2017, 2,098 deaths were drug-related and 2,535 non-drug related.

In the meantime, police said that a total of 8,200 homicide cases are under investigation "with motives to be determined."

Source: Philippine News Agency