Health official sees downward trend of injuries from firecrackers

A health department official has expressed hope that the downward trend of firecracker-related injuries they see at present would continue.

In a press conference held at the Valenzuela Medical Center in Valenzuela City Friday, Health Undersecretary Gerardo Bayugo said that while it is still too early to tell, he hopes that the total number of injuries from firecrackers would settle at 600 this holiday season, much lower than the 900 recorded during last year's New Year revelry.

As of Friday, the health department has recorded 116 firecracker-related injuries nationwide since December 21. The figure is 88 cases or 43 percent lower than the five-year average from 2011 to 2015, and 71 cases or 38 percent lower than the same period last year, it said.

Bayugo further noted that injuries recorded on Christmas day were also lower than on the same day in the past years.

Health Undersecretary Herminigildo Valle meanwhile welcomed the declining trend, attributing it to the health department's efforts and the cooperation of local government units (LGUs).

Valle lauded the LGUs of Marikina, Pasay, San Juan and Quezon City for hosting community fireworks displays.

Valenzuela Medical Center chief, Dr. Imelda Mateo, also noted a decline in the number of patients brought to the hospital for firecracker injuries. The figure, she said, has dropped from 27 cases five years ago to 22 last year to only one so far this year.

The health department officials were making the rounds of government hospitals to check their readiness to deal with emergencies during the rest of the holiday season.

Source: Philippines News Agency