Police: 90.32% of Dagupan already drug-cleared

DAGUPAN CITY, -- Two more barangays in Dagupan were cleared in a ceremony Thursday afternoon, raising the number of drug cleared villages in the city from 26 to 28 or 90.32 percent of the total 31 barangays in the city.

Supt. Neil Miro, chief of police, presented to Mayor Belen Fernandez for her signatures the resolutions of Barangays Pantal and Pogo Chico certifying that there is no more drug pusher or user in their villages, which he both earlier affirmed.

The certification included profiles of different surrendered drug personalities from the two barangays, which were validated and revalidated by the police.

Miro said there are now only three barangays in Dagupan yet to be cleared. These are Barangay 2 &3, Calmay and Pugaro, all with more or less 20 drug pushers and users yet to be neutralized.

But he said that with the help of the local government of Dagupan plus the officials of the three villages, there is a big probability these will also be cleared within this month of January.

In an interview, Mayor Fernandez expressed elation that more than 90 percent of the villages in Dagupan were already cleared but she believes the police may have a hard time clearing the remaining less than 10 percent of the villages.

She said the police should not rush in clearing the remaining three barangays tomake sure that no more drug users and pushers are left, otherwise she will not sign the certification declaring these villages as drug- free.

"I am happy because on Wednesday we met President Duterte in Malacanang where he reiterated to us mayors on his twin focus--to stump out illegal drugs and corruption. We mayors were asked to help get rid of these two menace," Fernandez said.

According to Miro, the drug personalities they are tracking down in Barangay Pugaro belong to the Garcia Group, while the one they are looking for in Calmay was the subject of an earlier warrant of arrest but was able to escape when somebody tipped him about the coming of policemen.

The drug personalities in Pugaro and Calmay may have already left but their families are still there, "that is why I am confident that they will still be coming back," Miro said.

He said to date, some Muslim drug personalities in Barangays 2 and 3 still visit the village at night when many are already in deep slumber.

Miro explained that Barangays Pantal and Pogo Chico should have been cleared earlier had they met the last requirement set in Dangerous Drugs Board Resolution, series of 2010, which is they should have no more drug pusher and user.

Having complied with that requirements, Pantal and Pogo Chico already qualified themselves to become drug-free, like the 26 others earlier declared as such late last year.

Barangay Chairwoman Julieta Perez of Pantal was overjoyed when her village was finally declared drug-free, adding that in the whole village, at least 95 drug personalities voluntarily surrendered with six others killed by unidentified person and others already arrested and jailed.

Pantal includes Sitio Aling, once a notorious haven of drug personalities, but is now a peaceful and self-sufficient community with not a single recorded user or pusher anymore.

Some drug surrenderers, she said, were recommended as beneficiaries to the Sagip Users Rehabilitation and Enhancement (SURE) program launched by Mayor Fernandez to qualify them for drug rehab at the Dagupan Drug Treatment Center.

The others went through community-based rehabilitation which they passed with flying color as shown by their current drug tests where they are already negative of illegal drugs.

On the other hand, Barangay Chairman Bryan Kua of Pogo Chico said with his village now drug-free, he looks forward to not having any incidence of Akyat Bahay or house robbery anymore.

There were 20 to 30 drug personalities who surrendered in Pogo Chico, said Kua, but added that some others were arrested in other barangays. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency