Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Andres Centino has tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
“The AFP confirms that the AFP Chief of Staff, General Andres Centino has tested positive for Covid-19, yesterday (Thursday). General Centino is now in an approved isolation facility within Camp Aguinaldo where he will continue to perform his job, albeit, in quarantine,” military spokesperson, Col. Ramon Zagala said in a message to reporters Friday.
Despite this, Centino will remain in full command of the AFP and will be supervising all units in carrying out their assigned tasks through all allowed and available means.
“The Chief of Staff is taking this opportunity to remind our members to constantly practice safety measures and follow health protocols to prevent the spread of this disease. The AFP continues to advocate the preservation of our force so that we can effectively perform our mandate to protect the people and secure the state,” Zagala said.
Earlier this week, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Gen. Dionardo Carlos also contracted Covid-19 and is currently in isolation.
Four Cabinet officials are also under quarantine after being exposed to people who have been infected with the disease — National Task Force against Covid-19 chief implementer, Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr.; Health Secretary Francisco Duque III; Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat.
Source: Philippines News Agency