The Commission on Elections (Comelec)-Baguio on Tuesday said no violator has so far been arrested since the start of the gun ban for the May 9 polls on Sunday.
“Nobody has been caught violating and hopefully there will be no violator who will be caught,” said city election officer John Paul Martin in a message.
He also reminded residents that bladed weapons are also covered by the gun ban.
“We conduct checkpoint operations every day on different locations we establish to implement the election gun ban,” he said.
Martin said gun ban violators may face up to six years imprisonment and perpetual disqualification to hold any elective or appointive office.
Col. Glenn Lonogan, city police director in a separate interview on Tuesday, said checkpoints are also an opportunity to implement other laws and rules that assures the safety and security of the public.
He urged the public to be patient and understanding as the city police has set up different checkpoints for the implementation of both the election gun ban and quarantine restrictions.
Source: Philippines News Agency