San Juan’s active cases jump from 5 to 255 in 3 weeks

From five active Covid-19 cases two weeks before the new year, San Juan City’s tally jumped to 255 as of Monday.

The number gradually rose to 75, 105, 152, and 197 from December 30 to January 2.

“Please note that last December 14, we only had five and this was the lowest number that we ever reached ever since Covid-19 started,” Mayor Francis Zamora said in a television interview on Tuesday.

The surge pushed Zamora to agree with the resolution of the Metro Manila Council (MMC) to restrict the movement of unvaccinated individuals.

“They are really very prone to the virus at this point,” Zamora added.

Under the MMC policy, local government units in the National Capital Region (NCR) will enact ordinances for enhanced restriction on unvaccinated individuals amid the threat of the Omicron variant.

NCR is under Alert Level 3 until January 15.

Zamora said they will strictly implement the “no walk-in policy” to ensure that health and safety protocols are followed in vaccination sites.

“In anticipation of the actual vaccination for the 5 to 11 years old category, hopefully this January, we have already opened the online vaccine registration to our residents and even non-residents,” he said.

One thousand have registered so far for the youngest age group.

Of the city’s 255 active infections, Barangay Little Baguio has 32 and Greenhills 31 while Barangay Progreso is the lone virus-free village.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Leave a Reply