- A still unidentified man was killed while two other persons were injured after a huge fire gutted down a lodging house and four other business establishments here on Wednesday morning.
Chief Insp. Anamei Legaste, city fire marshal, said the blaze broke out around 5:21 a.m. in one of the rooms of the Stay-Inn lodging house along Quezon Avenue in Barangay Dadiangas West.
Legaste said the conflagration rapidly spread to a nearby row of establishments, which included a realty office, clinic, pet shop, and marketing center.
Legaste said a male customer of the lodging house was reportedly trapped inside his room and failed to get out from the establishment, which was partly made of light materials.
We're still trying to establish his identity but it was initially confirmed that he was a customer of the inn, she told reporters.
She said a driver and helper of a delivery van identified as Mark Joseph Rojo and Jay Gemina, both residents of Buhangin, Davao City sustained minor injuries.
The official said they are considering faulty electrical wiring as possible cause, adding several witnesses noticed electrical sparks inside the lodging house prior to the blaze. The fire was declared under control around 6:25 a.m.
Fire investigators initially placed the damage to properties and other valuables to around PHP600,000.
The blaze was the fifth that occurred in the city since January 1.
Last Saturday, around PHP20 million worth of properties and commercial goods were destroyed in a 15-hour fire that razed at least five business establishments along Magsaysay Avenue in Barangay Dadiangas South.
Source: Philippines News Agency