528 Antiqueño students assured of educational aid

General

The Antique Provincial Youth and Development Office (PYDO) has assured the 528 remaining Antiqueño students that they will get their educational assistance once the Commission on Elections (Comelec) grants their request for exemption from the election ban.

Irish Mae Manlapaz, PYDO officer-in-charge, said they have already released educational assistance to 21,741 undergrad and graduate students since February 14 amounting to PHP109.3 million prior to the March 25 election ban.

“There were 22,395 students who had applied for the educational assistance from the provincial government with only a remaining of 528 all undergraduate yet to receive it,” she said in an interview Monday.

The 528 students, of whom 523 are from Culasi, four from Tobias Fornier, and one from Barbaza, had submitted their requirements such as their school registration form certified true copy, certificate of indigency issued by their barangay captain, identification card or birth certificate late that it was not immediately processed.

The provincial government led by Governor Rhodora J. Cadiao is giving educational assistance per semester to the students amounting to PHP5,000 each for the undergraduate while PHP6,000 each for the graduate students.

“We have already requested the Comelec for the exemption last week of February but until now we have not yet received its approval so in case that it could not be granted within the election period the students could still receive it after the May poll,” Manlapaz said.

She assured that the remaining budget is still intact with the provincial treasurer.

The assistance is being given to students studying at the University of Antique, which is the only state university in the province, and in other state colleges where there is free tuition fee so they would have some amount to be used in purchasing their much needed books and other school supplies, internet usage and other needs.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Leave a Reply