MANILA-- Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa still trusts the Special Action Force (SAF) commandos despite their alleged involvement in the hard drugs trade at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa.
He made this statement Wednesday even as Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Vitalliano Aquirre II said he will order an investigation on the the SAF members who may have been involved in the resurgence of hard drugs trade inside the penitentiary.
But despite his belief at the trustworthiness of his police officers, Dela Rosa said the PNP's Directorate for Investigative and Detective Management and Directorate for Intelligence is now looking into the accusations leveled against the SAF men.
He added that he will mete appropriate sanctions against the SAF personnel should investigations find out of their alleged involvement.
An estimated 300 SAF personnel were deployed at the NBP last year, replacing the Bureau of Correction (BuCor) security officers assigned there.
The SAF personnel were supposed to have a tour-of-duty of only three to six months and will be replaced by members of the Philippine Marine Corps but this did not take place as the latter unit is still involved in the ongoing fight against Maute Group terrorists in Marawi City.
Source: Philippines News Agency