DepEd Pangasinan gears for Ilocos Regional Athletic Meet

- The Department of Education (DepEd) Schools Division of Pangasinan I has expressed readiness to host the 2020 Region 1 (Ilocos) Athletic Association (R1AA) meet slated from February 19 to 26 here.

"We are expecting some 10,000 delegates from the 14 school divisions in Region 1. Of which, 80 percent are student-athletes and the remaining 20 percent are coaches. Repairs are now being done in schools that will be utilized as billeting areas," Pangasinan I Division Schools Superintendent, Dr. Sheila Marie Primicias said in an interview Monday.

Primicias said the division office is looking forward to constructing permanent facilities, instead of makeshift facilities like restrooms, in schools which usually serve as the billeting areas.

The annual regional sporting event this year will be exciting and will provide good memories to the student athletes, she said.

"We have this kiddie-themed event. The goal is to make the students enjoy even if they lose in the games so that they will have very good memories of the R1AA 2020, as the participating schools are tasked to set up cartoon-themed stalls with mascots at the Narciso Ramos Sports and Civic Center where the opening program will be held, she added.

Among the proposed cartoon displays are Sesame Street, Toy Story, Hello Kitty, Marvel, Barney and Friends, Safari, Beauty and the Beast, Ben10, Avengers, Justice League, Carnival, Star Wars, Frozen, Minions, and Transformer, she said.

The athletes may also enjoy amusement rides like bump cars and carousels for free, Primicias said.

Source: Philippines News Agency