The Department of Health in Davao Region (DOH-11) confirmed on Sunday the first case of 2019 coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in Region 11.
The confirmed case, a 21-year old female, arrived in the Philippines from the United Kingdom with layover via Doha, Qatar to Manila then to Davao on February 29.
The patient first sought consultation in a local health facility due to cough and was immediately isolated on March 9.
She was transferred and admitted for isolation and testing to a referral hospital last March 10 and is currently in stable condition, according to a DOH statement.
DOH-11 however, assured the public that containment measures are done to prevent local transmission of the virus.
The DOH said its contact tracing team is in close coordination with the local government unit concerned.
“Persons who will be identified to have close interaction with the confirmed case will be interviewed and assessed for proper management,” the statement read.
Dr. Annable Yumang, DOH-11 regional director, appealed to those who would be identified as close contacts to the confirmed case to cooperate and provide necessary information for proper management and facilitation.
“Being personally responsible in order to control Covid-19 is an essential action in this challenging situation,” Yumang said.
She said the DOH is in close coordination with the LGU and the hospital where the patient was admitted.
Yumang said the Incident Command System and Rapid Response Team had been activated for appropriate management, including increased infection control, case management, and containment to prevent the spread of the virus.
“We urge the public to stay calm and remain vigilant at all times. Let us continue to practice proper handwashing, social distancing and cough etiquette,” she said.
To date, a total of 50 patients under investigation was reported in the region where 29 patients were already discharged, while 21 PUIs are currently admitted in two government hospitals in the region.
Source: Philippines News Agency