MANILA -- The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday said it delivered immediate initial response for the effects and other possible outcomes of the magnitude 6.0 earthquake that struck Mabini, Batangas on April 8.
"In terms of logistic support, this was provided immediately and many of the supplies and logistics arrived yesterday (April 9)," said DOH Secretary Dr. Paulyn Jean B. Rosell-Ubial in a press briefing held at DOH media relations unit.
Ubial said included in the assistance provided were 50 tents amounting to PHP644,000 for the Batangas Medical Center and local government unit hospitals.
These tents were used to patients who were evacuated after the Mabini General Hospital was ordered closed upon sustaining major damages and was recommended to undergo first some assessments in terms of structural integrity.
The said hospital also converted its conference hall at the groundfloor as temporary ICU (intensive care unit).
"So far in the initial assessments, there are no other serious damages and casualties that resulted except for some DOH hospital facilities," Ubial said.
Aside from Mabini General Hospital, the two other hospitals that sustained damages are the Batangas Medical Center in Batangas City and Bay District Hospital.
The DOH chief said that these hospitals incurred minor damages but are both open and functional now.
She added that DOH Regional Office in CALABARZON is still assessing the extent of damages and on-going health effects created by the quake.
In addition, she said that other assistance for the CALABARZON region consists of drugs and medicines.
The amount of assistance for Batangas Province alone amounted PHP1.2 million.
Source: Philippines News Agency