Groups out to sabotage polls will not succeed: AFP spox

MANILA -- Groups that might be out to sabotage the May 13 mid-term elections will never succeed, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson, Marine Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, said Sunday.

He made this comment as he assured the public that those planning to disrupt Monday's polls at the last minute will never succeed in their dastardly plans as coordination between the AFP, Philippine National Police, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and other government agencies tasked to secure the mid-term elections are going well.

"They will never succeed. The degree of preparation, the degree of planning, as well as execution and coordination between the AFP, PNP, Comelec, and other agencies as very encouraging," he said.

He added that this coordination will help ensure that the May 13 elections will be orderly, peaceful and credible aside from giving voters the opportunity to cast their ballots for their desired candidates.

Arevalo also encouraged all Filipinos to go out and vote as doing so will determine not only the security of their areas but also peace in the entire country, national security and nationwide sustainable progress.

The AFP spokesperson reiterated the order of Chief-of-Staff, Gen. Benjamin Madrigal Jr., to remain non-partisan at all times. Arevalo added that commanders of units or troops who fail to observe this order will be held liable.

Aside from securing Monday's elections, air, naval, and land transport units of the AFP were utilized to transport election paraphernalia in various areas of the country with the various Unified Commands tasked to bring these items in various voting precincts.

Arevalo said the Tarlac-based Northern Luzon Command has 100 percent successfully completed its election material transport mission as well as the Puerto Princesa-headquartered Western Command.

This was followed by the Zamboanga-based Western Mindanao Command with 98 percent, Lucena-headquartered Southern Luzon Command also with 98 as deliveries are still ongoing as of this posting.

Meanwhile, Central Command, which is in Cebu, has delivered 85 percent of the election materials entrusted to it and expects delivery of the remaining 15 percent within the day.

Likewise, the Eastern Mindanao Command, which is located in Davao City, has delivered 90 percent of all election paraphernalia and expects completion of all deliveries also within the day (Sunday).

He added that Comelec personnel escorted the military in transporting these items. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency