No late filing of SOCE: Comelec

MANILA The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Thursday it will no longer accept late filing of Statements of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCEs).

In an interview, Commissioner Luie Guia noted that they have not discussed in the commission en banc if they would allow late filers, who are the winning and losing candidates in the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) election held last month.

The rule is as it is, as of now, he added.

On the other hand, poll body spokesman James Jimenez said that unlike in previous polls, where a resolution was issued extending the deadline but this time, the commission en banc did not issue one.

It was allowed before but there was a resolution then. Now, there is no such resolution, Jimenez said in a separate interview.

Jimenez added that the Comelec has allowed late filing of SOCEs, but imposed administrative fines against late filers.

The deadline set by the poll body for candidates in the village and youth elections to file their SOCEs was set Wednesday.

It was reported that large numbers of candidates had filed their SOCEs to beat the deadline.

Meanwhile, the Comelec clarified that winning candidates in the recently concluded May 14, 2018 polls but with pending Petitions for Disqualification or Petitions for Cancellation of Certificate of Candidacy (COC) filed against them will not be allowed to hold office.

Pursuant to Section 3(d) of Comelec Resolution No. 10196, a Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) candidate must be at least eighteen (18) years but not more than twentyfour (24) years of age on the day of the elections.

In implementing the age requirement, the COMELEC looked to the landmark case of Garvida vs. Sales, Jr., where the Supreme Court ruled that one year is equal to no more than one 365day cycle. Therefore, 24 years does not mean 24 years and one or some days or a fraction of a year since that would be more than 24 365day cycles, Jimenez said.

Likewise, Section 40(b) of the Local Government Code of 1991 (LGC) disqualifies from running for elective positions those who have been removed from office as a result of an administrative case.

Local officials who have been elected and have served three consecutive terms are not allowed to serve for a fourth consecutive term in the same position. (PNA)

Source: Philippine News Agency