No record of departure of suspects in Atio case

MANILA The Bureau of Immigration (BI) said the suspects in the death of law student Horacio "Atio" Castillo III have no record of departure.

BI spokesperson Antonette Mangrobang said that based on their data, suspects Jose Miguel Salamat, John Robin Ramos, Joshua Macabali, Min Wei Chan, Marcelino Bagtang, Ralph Trangia, Arvin Balag, Axel Munro Hope, and Hans Matthew Rodrigo have no record that they have left the country.

Another suspect, Oliver Onofre, has numerous namesakes, Mangorabang said.

When we say no departure, we mean that their travel record indicate that after their last arrival we do not have any record of departure, she said.

On Thursday, a Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) ordered the arrest of the members of the Aegis Juris Fraternity in connection with Castillo's death during hazing rites last year.

They were charged with violation of Republic Act 8049 or the Anti-Hazing Law

Presiding Judge Alfredo Ampuan of RTC Branch 40 did not recommend any bail for the accused.

Source: Philippine News Agency