Palace condemns killing of Cavite vice mayor

MANILA -- Expressing concern for the third killing of a local government official this week, MalacaAang condemned the killing of Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan of Trece Martires City, Cavite.

Reports showed that Lubigan and his driver Romulo Guillemer were gunned down by unidentified gunmen in barangay (village) Luciano, Trece Martires City at around 2:53 p.m. on Saturday.

We strongly condemn the ambush of Trece Martires Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan this afternoon, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement sent to media.

Our condolences go out to the grieving family and friends of the late Vice Mayor Lubigan, he added.

Roque, meanwhile, urged the leadership of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to conduct a fair and through investigation and get to the bottom of the crime.

He also called for cooperation to stop the rising number of killings involving local government officials.

We must band together and put an end to the worrisome incidents of violence involving local politicians, he added.

Last Monday, Tanauan City Mayor Antonio Halili, who was on the government's narco-list, was killed while attending a flag-raising ceremony.

A day later, Mayor Ferdinand Bote of General Tinio, Nueva Ecija was also ambushed in Cabanatuan City.

LGUs dialogue

Roque earlier said that the Palace was willing to accommodate groups of local government units (LGUs) seeking audience with President Rodrigo Duterte following the recent killing of local government officials.

The Union of Local Authorities of the Philippines (ULAP) and the League of Municipalities of the Philippines (LMP) have asked to personally air their concerns to the President.

These groups had concerns on being allowed to carry firearms for their protection since Mindanao is under martial law due to last year's Marawi City siege.

They also wanted to participate in the vetting of the government's narco-list. (PNA)

Source: Philippine News Agency