MANILAMalacaAang on Wednesday said it will respect the recommendation of the Office of the Ombudsman to file criminal and administrative charges against former Bureau of Customs (BOC) commissioner Nicanor Faeldon and other officials.
The Palace respects the recent decision of the Ombudsman recommending the filing of charges against former Bureau of Commissioner (BOC) Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon et al., Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a press statement.
A special fact-finding committee from the Office of the Ombudsman has reportedly recommended the filing of charges against Faeldon in connection with the PHP6.4 billion worth of smuggled shabu seized in Valenzuela City last year.
The panel has found sufficient evidence to charge Faeldon for alleged violation of Section 3(e) of the Republic Act No. 3019 or Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, and Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act.
Aside from Faeldon, the committee also recommended the filing of graft charges against Import Assessment Service director Milo Maestrecampo, Risk Management Office chief Larribert Hilario and Accounts Management Office chief Mary Grace Tecson-Malabed.
The committee also included BOC officials Joel Pinawin and Oliver Valiente for grave misconduct.
Mr. Faeldon, et all will now have their day in court where they can defend themselves in the upcoming preliminary investigation in connection with the incident, Roque said.
The special investigating panel dropped former Davao City vice mayor Paolo Duterte and Manases Carpio from the case.
During the Senate inquiries, Customs fixer Mark Taguba tagged Duterte and Carpio in the smuggled shabu.
Duterte is the son of President Rodrigo R. Duterte while Carpio, a lawyer, is the husband of Davao City Mayor and presidential daughter Sara Duterte.
Carpio is also the nephew of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency