MANILA The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Saturday maintained that the filing of charges against two former officials of the Philippine Military Academy over the death of cadet of 4th Class Darwin Dormitorio due to alleged maltreatment, is part of due process.
"When soldiers, airmen, sailors, or marines face a military tribunal or a civilian court to answer charges for what they did or failed to do, that's due process," AFP spokesperson, Marine Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said in a message to reporters.
Last month, PMA Superintendent, Lt. Gen. Ronnie Evangelista and Cadet Corps Commandant, Brig. Gen. Bartolome Vicente Bacarro, resigned from their posts in wake of the incident.
"When men and women in uniform tasked to accomplish a mission are later asked to account for what they did or failed to do, that is soldiery," Arevalo noted.
"That is what military leaders who decide and act in all circumstances must be prepared to do," he said.
On Wednesday, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Cordillera filed a complaint against the two former PMA officials at the Baguio City Prosecutor's Office for violation of the Anti-Hazing Law.
In its complaint, the NBI said the officials did not do anything to probe or act to prevent the maltreatment against Dormitorio.
Earlier this month, the Dormitorio family filed murder, hazing and torture charges against several PMA cadets and tactical officers over the cadet's death.
On September 18, the 20-year-old cadet was found unconscious inside his room at the academy by fellow cadets and was brought to the hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency