Taguig rolls out summer jobs to 1,000 SPES beneficiaries

MANILA-- Some 1,000 young TaguigeAos earned income over the school break through job opportunities pooled by the City Hall.

Beneficiaries, including students and out-of-school youth, were tasked to work for 20 days with the local government or 45 days with the private sector partners.

The deployment is in line with the national government's Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES), which assists young people who need financial support during the yearly school break.

The City of Taguig deployed last June 13 the third and last batch of young earners which was composed of 150 beneficiaries expected to finish the program on July 11.

On June 15, the Public Employment Services Office distributed the salaries of the first batch at the city hall auditorium. Attendance reached 456 beneficiaries, all of whom finished work on May 29.

We consider SPES as one of the most relevant programs of our government because it helps the out-of-school youth to pursue their studies and also to help their parents in their day-to-day needs, said PESO officer-in-charge Norman Mirabel.

Mirabel noted that 40 percent of the beneficiaries' salary was released by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), while the local government and private employers provided the remaining 60 percent. Aside from the salary, Taguig City also distributed free T-shirts to the youth.

The importance of this program to our city is that it serves as a bridge for TaguigeAo students and out-of-school youth who are in need of financial assistance," Mirabel explained. "Through this program, our youth gain work experience and knowledge working with different kinds of people."

Taguig City started implementing the SPES program in 2011 and has already benefited around 5,000 students until 2016.

To be eligible for the program, an applicant should be 15-25 years old. All applicants submitted three copies of the duly filled-out registration Form 01 with ID pictures, validated by the school principal or registrar; any document attesting to his/her age; any document attesting to the student's academic standing; and the latest income tax return of his or her parents, or a certification from the employer/union president that the parent of the applicant is to be displaced or has been displaced.

Aside from providing jobs to students during the school break, Taguig City is also the lone local government unit in the National Capital Region (NCR) that conducts a job fair in different barangays for a full five days, and also in its main office thrice a week.

PESO organized its first Independence Day job fair at Vista Mall in Barangay Ususan on June 12. It catered more than 1,000 Taguig-based job-hunters.

Source: Philippines News Agency