DOH reports 24 firecracker injuries as of Christmas Day

The Department of Health (DOH) said 14 of the reported 24 fireworks-related injuries took placed in National Capital Region -- based on the reports obtained as of 6 a.m. of December 25 from sentinel hospitals.

Also, 8 of the 23 cases were caused by Piccolo, the leading cause of firecracker-related injuries in the past few years.

Manila tops with six; Quezon City, three; Marikina, Las Pinas, Malabon, Navotas, and Pasay with one apiece.

A case of firecracker ingestion was also reported in Cainta, Rizal where a six-year old boy apparently swallowed part of a sparkler or "luces".

The remaining cases were in Regions 1 with three cases; Region 4-A with two cases; Region VI with two cases; Region 7 and 11 with one case each.

These cases were gathered through the daily monitoring of DOH Aksyon Paputok Injury Report (APR) 2016 as part of its "Oplan: Iwas Paputok, Fireworks Display and Patok" yearly campaign.

"This is 28 or 55 percent lower than the five-year (2011-2015) average and 21 or 48 percent lower compared to the same period last year.

The report also showed that injuries often occurred among men since majority or 19 cases occurred among males

The youngest age was recorded at five while the oldest is 62 years old.

Sixteen of them suffered blast injuries but so far none of them required amputation.

Most of them were hand injuries, 12 in all, or 55 percent of the total cases.

Aside from that, four were injured in forearm and arm.

Majority of the injuries (17 cases) happened among active users -- those who admitted that they are using firecrackers in the past years.

So far, there is only one firework ingestion recorded.

"If you really love your children, you will not allow them to use firecrackers," said DOH Secretary Paulyn Jean B. Rosell-Ubial bial as she reminded parents anew of their responsibilities to ensure the safety of their beloved children.

Source: Philippines News Agency