Palace vows no whitewash in Korean kidnap-slay case

MANILA-- Malacanang on Sunday expressed resentment over the abduction and slay of Hanjin executive Jee Ick Joo inside the Philippine National Police (PNP) headquarters in Camp Crame.

"We are outraged by the abduction and slay of a South Korean executive inside Camp Crame," presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said in a text message to Palace reporters.

The Palace official assured that there will be no whitewash in the investigation of Jee's killing reportedly involving rogue cops.

"We will not tolerate corrupt, abusive, errant policemen who betray the organization and the men and women in uniform who continue their faithful, dedicated and loyal service to the country," Abella said.

The Korean executive was reportedly strangled to death with his head covered with a packaging tape.

Three policemen -- SPO4 Roy Villegas, SPO3 Rickey Sta. Isabel and PO2 Christopher Baldovino -- are now being investigated by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

According to news reports, Jee and house helper Marisa D. Morquicho were abducted by two unidentified men from his house in Pampanga on October 18 last year.

Morquicho testified that the abductors told her that her boss was involved in illegal drug trades.

Kyungjin Choi, wife of the slain Korean businessman, said the perpetrators demanded an PHP8-million ransom.

She reportedly paid PHP5 million on Oct. 30, 2016 but did not give the remaining PHP3 million when the kidnappers failed to present proof of life. (PNA)

Source; Philippines News Agency