264 Ex-NPA Combatants in Agusan Sur Apply for Government Amnesty

Agusan del sur: About 264 former combatants of the communist New People's Army (NPA) in Agusan del Sur province have so far submitted their applications for the government's Amnesty Program under Executive Order (EO) No. 47, according to the Army's 4th Infantry Division (4ID) on Monday.

According to Philippines News Agency, EO 47, signed by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Nov. 22, 2023, established the National Amnesty Commission, responsible for receiving, processing, and determining eligibility for amnesty applications. A two-day processing period on June 25-26 by the 4ID successfully concluded for 37 former rebels (FRs), increasing the total number of applicants in the province this year to 264, up from 227.

Of these, 27 FRs were in the custody of the Army's 26th Infantry Battalion in Talacogon, and 10 were with the 401st Infantry Brigade in Prosperidad. 'The two-day activity included a comprehensive orientation on the legal framework, eligibility requirements, and benefits of the amnesty program,' the 4ID said.

It said the processing of the FRs was facilitated through collaboration with local government units and the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation, and Unity. 'The amnesty program is more than just about numbers. It shows that former rebels are being given a chance to rebuild their lives and find hope again,' 4ID commander, Major General Michele Anayron Jr., said in the same statement.