A±o Labels Chinese Rocket Launch as ‘Irresponsible’, Raises Safety Concerns in Palawan

Puerto princesa: National Security Adviser (NSA) Eduardo A±o on Tuesday condemned China's "irresponsible testing" of its Long March 12 rocket, which he said caused alarm and placed the people of Palawan at risk. "Loud explosions caused by the Chinese rocket launch caused widespread alarm and concern in Puerto Princesa City and other municipalities, particularly in coastal barangays in the province," A±o, who is also National Security Council director general, said in a statement.

According to Philippines News Agency, local residents reported witnessing a fireball cross the sky that later exploded, causing the ground to shake. While no immediate damage or injury has been reported so far, A±o highlighted the danger posed by falling debris, which could affect land areas as well as ships, aircraft, fishing boats, and other vessels passing through the drop zone. He also warned of the possibility of debris drifting toward nearby coasts.

The government has initiated measures to address the situation, deploying surface and aerial assets to search for debris associated with the loud explosions from the rocket launch originating from Hainan Island. "The public is strongly advised to inform local authorities if suspected debris is sighted. The public is advised against retrieving or coming in close contact with debris materials that may contain toxic fuel residues. We are coordinating closely with local authorities and coastal fishermen on this matter," A±o added.