MANILA The military is not keen on taking seriously Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison's claims that the New People's Army (NPA) guerillas are now ready to oust President Rodrigo Duterte following the latter's decision to suspend informal peace talks with the rebels, pending a threemonth review of all previous agreements.
"There have been peace talks after another that have failed in the past. And each time, they were trying to oust the President but never came close enough to at least unsettle a CommanderinChief," Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson, Col. Edgard Arevalo, said in a message to reporters Friday.
Arevalo added that Sison's threats seemed to be unfounded as NPA guerillas and their supporters continue to surrender to government forces in record numbers for the past few months.
"We do not know where Mr. Sison derives his temerity to make such a threat when members of the terrorist NPA continue to surrender in droves in the face of the AFP's tactical, intelligence, and civilmilitary operations that enjoy the support of the Filipino people," he said.
Arevalo also assured the public that it is supporting all efforts to attain just and lasting peace.
Last week, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced that the government is not yet ready to resume formal peace talks with the CPP set in Oslo, Norway on June 2830 to allow the public to engage more in the peace process. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency