Manila: Traslacion, the annual religious parade that highlights the Feast of the Jesus Nazareno, remains orderly and manageable as of Friday noon amid the massive turnout of devotees, police said. The Philippine National Police (PNP) has deployed around 18,000 personnel for the event to maintain security and implement crowd control measures.
According to Philippines News Agency, acting PNP chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. stated that police personnel are fully deployed and visible along the route. He emphasized that a high level of alertness is being maintained to ensure everyone's safety. Nartatez personally inspected the Quirino Grandstand in Manila to assess the situation and check on the readiness of the police forces in the area.
He noted that the initial assessment showed the security measures implemented by the PNP have been effective. "Nakikita natin ang maayos na crowd control, mabilis na response ng ating mga pulis, at tuloy-tuloy ang coordination with other government agencies and volunteers. We are closely monitoring the situation and ready to adjust our deployment as needed," Nartatez said. The PNP chief added that aside from attendees needing medical attention, there have been no major security concerns reported so far during the event.
Friday's procession began an hour earlier than usual, with the carriage carrying the image of Jesus Nazareno leaving the Quirino Grandstand at 4 a.m. on its way back to the Minor Basilica and National Shrine of Jesus Nazareno, or Quiapo Church, in Quezon Boulevard. The Traslacion traditionally starts at 5 a.m., immediately following the dawn prayer.