DOT Demands Transparency, Accountability After HelloSafe’s Retraction

Manila: The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Thursday called for transparency and accountability in the publication of global travel reports following the retraction of a controversial safety index by insurance platform HelloSafe that listed the Philippines as one of the world's least safe countries to visit.

According to Philippines News Agency, HelloSafe has issued a formal apology, expressing 'sincere regrets for the misunderstanding and negative perception' caused by the publication in a media statement released on July 15. The company also suspended the report as of June 20, pending a 'full audit of the methodology and criteria used in its creation,' and reaffirmed its 'deep respect for the Philippines and its people.'

DOT Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco welcomed the retraction and apology but emphasized that the damage to the country's international image has already been done. In a letter to HelloSafe founder Antoine Fruchard, Frasco denounced the report as 'false and misleading,' stating that its release under the guise of a safety index "caused unwarranted alarm and inflicted damage to our country's reputation."

'As the DOT moves forward with implementing the National Tourism Development Plan 2023-2028, which prioritizes digitalization, enhanced infrastructure, safety, and sustainability as core strategies for growth, we expect the Philippines to be represented fairly, truthfully, and with the dignity that our people, destinations, and tourism workers rightfully deserve,' she said.

Frasco reminded content publishers and data aggregators to exercise 'greater circumspection and responsibility when releasing studies that may influence public perception.' She said that despite HelloSafe's efforts to withdraw the report, its contents - along with sensationalized headlines - remain online and continue to affect public perception.

'We reiterate the gravity of the reputational damage caused by the publication of the false article, which caused undue alarm, distorted public perception, and undermined the collective efforts of both government and private sector stakeholders in promoting the Philippines as a globally competitive, safe, and welcoming tourism destination," she said.

Tourism is a major contributor to the Philippine economy. Data from the Philippine Tourism Satellite Accounts 2024 revealed that the sector contributed 8.9 percent to the country's gross domestic product (GDP) and provided jobs to around 6.75 million Filipinos.

The HelloSafe controversy began last month when the company published a travel safety index that ranked the Philippines among the least safe destinations. The report was met with strong backlash from both the government and industry stakeholders.

In a statement posted on June 19 via her official Facebook page, Frasco questioned the credibility of the ranking, citing a lack of transparency, unverifiable data sources, and identical safety scores reused across multiple countries within a short period. The index, she said, did not reflect the on-ground realities of safety and tourism in the Philippines.

Several major tourism associations echoed the DOT's sentiments, including the Philippine Hotel Owners Association, Pacific Asia Travel Association, Philippine IATA Agents Travel Association, Philippine Travel Agencies Association, and the Philippine Tour Operators Association, all of whom slammed the report as misleading and harmful.

As the country continues to recover from the effects of the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic and global crises, the DOT reaffirmed its commitment to positioning the Philippines as a safe, sustainable, and globally competitive destination. She said the DOT will continue to defend the integrity of the country's tourism sector and call out misinformation that harms it.