DPWH chief confirms no plans to run for senator next year

MANILA � With less than a year before the May 2019 midterm polls, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar said he has no plans in running for the Senate in the forthcoming elections.

According to the DPWH chief, there are a lot of things that need to be accomplished first in the department, particularly infrastructure projects being built by the government under President Rodrigo Duterte.

No plans. So far, I’m just going to stay on first, he said in an interview after inspecting the NLEX Harbor Link Segment 10 on Tuesday.

We have targets here, we have projects that I want to finish like the Harbor Link, Skyway connector (NLEX-SLEX), bridges, among others, he said, noting that majority of the projects will be completed by 2020.

Prior to his appointment as chief of the agency, he served for two terms as Representative of Las PiAas City, and was elected to the position again in 2016 but had to vacate it after joining the Duterte government.

Villar was appointed in May 2016 and officially assumed office on August 1, 2016. (PNA)

Source: Philippine News Agency