Extraction of Chinese Syndicate Boss Foiled; 6 Suspects Nabbed

Para±aque City: Six suspects were arrested after their failed attempt to snatch an alleged Chinese criminal syndicate boss from a vehicle of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP), the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said on Tuesday.

According to Philippines News Agency, the BJMP vehicle was traversing a service road of Cavitex in Para±aque City while escorting Hu Yang, a Chinese national, after attending a hearing at Makati Regional Trial Court when two vehicles blocked their path. The suspects fired upon the BJMP transport vehicle, prompting the jail personnel to retaliate and forcing the armed men to retreat. Hu was brought back to the jail facility.

One of the fleeing vehicles collided with a tree and the suspects fled on foot toward the mangrove forest at Las-Pi±as-Para±aque Wetland Park, where six of them were arrested with the assistance of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) forces. Arrested were Filipinos James Bales Lasam, 28; Jerom Pascua Salvador, 31; Jerry Calino Escalde, 30; and John Paul Chua, 51; and Chinese nationals Yang Yang Shin and Wang Hongjie.

Recovered from the suspects were a replica grenade, several US dollar bills, a .357 Magnum revolver containing live ammunition, one fired cartridge case, and suspected illegal drugs and drug-related paraphernalia. Jail Officer 2 Leif Joseph Talanquines sustained a gunshot wound to the left shoulder and was taken to Ospital ng Para±aque.

NCRPO Director Maj. Gen. Anthony Aberin commended the Para±aque police and SWAT teams for helping foil the attempt to take away the Chinese suspect. 'The proactive presence in the streets is crucial, which enabled you to respond immediately to the scene, and your competence and quick thinking in complicated situations proved a game-changer in the pursuit operations,' he said in a statement.

Aberin said Hu is an alleged leader of a criminal syndicate engaged in kidnapping, carnapping, extortion, and gun-running activities. Hu was arrested in Para±aque City last year and is reportedly wanted in China for kidnapping charges. Based on the initial investigation, the four Filipinos were paid to assist in the rescue plan.

Police said a string of criminal charges, including frustrated and attempted murder, will be filed against the suspects.