MANILA -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it is procedural for their Internal Affairs Services (IAS) to investigate and look into the circumstances concerning police officers who have shot and killed suspects during the course of operations.
PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos made the statement following the "One Time Big Time Operation" conducted by the Bulacan Provincial Police Office (BPPO) against illegal drugs which so far resulted in the death of 32 suspects and arrest of 107 individuals during the course of 66 anti-narcotic operations.
The operation, which started Tuesday midnight and lasted until Wednesday midnight, led to seizure of 367 pieces of heat sealed transparent plastic sachets of suspected shabu approximately weighing 234.4292 grams; 765 grams of marijuana leaves; two hand grenades: 34 assorted firearms; 114 rounds of assorted ammunition in the course of 49 buy-bust operations, 14 search warrants, and three checkpoint operations.
BPPO head Senior Supt. Romeo Caramat said majority of those killed were notorious drug users.
Carlos said the IAS investigation is "motto propio" as it is automatic for the body to investigate if a police operation resulted in the use of a firearm that resulted in a death of one or several suspects.
The investigation is done to remove public doubts from the police operation, he added.
But Carlos said that the police cannot always control an armed suspect who might just decide to point his loaded weapon to a responding officer. Should this happen, the PNP spokesperson said that the police has no other recourse but to defend themselves.
Source: Philippine News Agency