No Pinoy infected as DFA monitors DR Congo Ebola outbreak

MANILA -- No Filipino has so far been reported infected by the Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo), with death toll climbing to 360 since August 2018.

In a statement Friday, Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato said the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi, which has jurisdiction over the DR Congo, is in touch with the approximately 142 members of the Filipino Community in the African state.

The Embassy informed the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) it received no reports of any Filipino getting infected by the disease.

Charge d'Affaires Francis Maynard Maleon said the outbreak, tagged as the second worst in history, was first reported in August and has spread to the eastern city of Butembo, a key trading and transport hub.

The envoy said the World Health Organization (WHO) is working closely with government health officials to contain the outbreak.

As of January 1, 2019, a total of 608 Ebola virus disease cases, including 560 confirmed and 48 probable cases were reported by the WHO in the two neighbouring provinces of North Kivu and Ituri.

The DFA continues to monitor the situation in the country.

Maleon said Filipinos in DR Congo who may find themselves in emergency situations that would require the Embassy's assistance may call (+254) 739310048. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency