NTF-ELCAC Denounces NPA Killing of 2 Civilians in Negros

Negros: The government's anti-insurgency task force on Thursday condemned the recent killing of two civilians by the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army (CPP-NPA) rebels in the Negros Island Region (NIR). In a statement, the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) said the deaths of Jomy Pelarta and Raul Loterio at the hands of the NPA show that the rebels' so-called "people's court" remains "nothing more than a mechanism for summary execution."

According to Philippines News Agency, NTF-ELCAC issued the statement after the NPA's Romeo Nanta Command admitted killing Pelarta and Loterio on November 6 and 13, respectively, for allegedly being military assets. The task force noted that the rebels have openly claimed responsibility for the murder of 15 farmers, barangay leaders, and community members since last year.

"These killings, far from isolated, reflect a disturbing return to the purge-style executions that have marked some of the most violent chapters in the group's history," it said, referring to the CPP-NPA's previous internal campaigns Oplan Zombie, Kampanyang Ahos, and Kadena de Amor where thousands, including students and members of Indigenous Peoples' groups, were killed.

The NTF-ELCAC said the recent killings in NIR follow the same pattern, as it noted other recent atrocities being committed by the NPA in the region. "In Cauayan (Negros Occidental), the Armando Sumayang Jr. Command has intensified attacks on barangay officials whose only role was serving their constituents. Meanwhile, remnants operating in northern Negros - particularly the faction led by wanted NPA figure Roger Fabillar - have turned increasingly violent as government operations succeeded in dismantling five guerrilla fronts in the island," it said.

The NTF-ELCAC also assured the people of NIR that support will continue to flow to communities affected by NPA attacks. "As Negros grieves, the NTF-ELCAC calls on all sectors to stand with the victims, uphold the dignity of every Filipino, and work together to ensure that no armed group is ever again allowed to perpetrate killings in the name of revolution," it said.