Manila: Malaca±ang said Monday the suspension of face-to-face classes in Metro Manila is a precautionary move by the Department of Health (DOH) to prevent the spread of influenza-like illnesses commonly seen during the colder months.
According to Philippines News Agency, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro stated that the DOH has clarified that current flu cases remain 8 percent lower compared to the same period last year. However, authorities opted for a 'health break' to stop infections from further spreading in schools.
"Sa ganitong panahon talaga lumalabas ang influenza-like illnesses (During this season, influenza-like illnesses are common)," Castro said in a Palace briefing.
"Mas mababa nga po ngayon ng eight percent pero aasahan pa rin po natin na dahil sa panahon na taglamig. minabuti po nila na huwag na po itong kumalat kaya nagkaroon ng health break (Actually, cases are 8 percent lower compared to last year. But the DOH opted to prevent its further spread and imposed a two-day health break)."
Castro mentioned that the two-day suspension would also allow schools to disinfect facilities to ensure that classrooms are safe and clean once students return.