Palace: DILG to Probe Local Execs Who Left Country During Uwan

Manila: Malaca±ang on Monday said local officials who reportedly left the country at the height of Super Typhoon Uwan's onslaught will be evaluated by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) before being held accountable. Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the government will first determine whether their foreign trips affected disaster response efforts in their localities.

According to Philippines News Agency, the evaluation will begin by assessing the purpose of these officials' trips abroad and whether these trips impacted their ability to respond to their constituents during the typhoon. Castro emphasized the need for a thorough assessment before determining any fault, stating that it cannot be immediately assumed that the officials are at fault.

When asked about potential sanctions for violating the DILG's standing order for local executives to remain in their posts during calamities, Castro indicated that the Palace will defer to Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla. The officials will need to provide explanations for their absence despite a DILG memorandum requiring them to stay and oversee disaster response.

The DILG had earlier issued a reminder to governors, mayors, and other local officials to remain in their areas of responsibility and personally oversee disaster response operations as Uwan, one of the year's strongest typhoons, pummeled Luzon on Sunday.