Manila: Bishop Broderick Pabillo on Tuesday sought prayers for the victims of the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that jolted Myanmar and Thailand, killing thousands, last week. "Let's include them in our prayers, let's not remain silent in these events, those who are affected and those who are suffering are also our fellow human beings and that is also God's warning to us that what happened to them might also happen to us so I hope our preparedness, our readiness is there and let's always pray that we have the strength so that when this calamity comes, we will be saved," the Catholic prelate said in an interview over Church-run Radio Veritas.
According to Philippines News Agency, he also called for prayers for the well-being of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and Filipino migrants in the Southeast Asian nations, after the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that four Filipinos remain missing in Myanmar. The DFA said search is ongoing for the OFWs, all of whom are teachers who lived in the Sky Villa condominium that collapsed in Mandalay, the city closest to the epicenter of the March 28 earthquake.
"Many have died, many have lost their homes and will lose their jobs, let us pray for them, may they not lose hope and let us also pray for our fellow Filipino OFWs who are with them," Pabillo said. He reminded Filipinos of the ongoing preparation for the so-called "The Big One" that is expected to cause a strong earthquake along a 100-km. stretch in Metro Manila that traverses the cities of Quezon, Pasig, Marikina, Makati, Taguig and Muntinlupa.
"This is a reminder to us that we are also threatened by a strong earthquake, 'The Big One', so let's always be prepared, especially when it comes to heavily-populated areas, there will be many casualties and while we prepare, let's be careful," the prelate added. Local media reports said at least 1,700 people have died, 3,400 were injured, and nearly 300 are missing from the massive earthquake.