Davao Oriental Twin Quakes Result in 7 Fatalities and 11 Injuries

Davao city: Seven people died while 11 were injured in the magnitude 7.4 and 6.8 earthquakes that rippled across Davao Oriental and nearby provinces on Oct. 10, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Saturday. In its latest situational report, the disaster management body said all fatalities came from the Davao Region, while one of the wounded was logged in Caraga.

According to Philippines News Agency, at least 3,519 families, consisting of 8,436 individuals in Davao Region and Caraga, have so far been reported affected by the tremors. Of this, 2,468 families, or 7,915 people, are taking shelter in evacuation centers. A total of 28 houses sustained damage, while five were destroyed. The NDRRMC reported that five road sections and one bridge in Davao Region, Soccsksargen, and Caraga are currently not passable.

The magnitude 7.4 offshore earthquake struck Davao Oriental on Friday morning, and was followed by another magnitude 6.8 offshore quake in the evening. The temblors triggered tsunami warnings that were subsequently lifted.