DSWD Chief Lauds Revised Protocol on Case Management of Child Victims

Manila: Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Rex Gatchalian on Thursday lauded the newly-launched revised protocol for the case management of child victims of abuse, neglect, exploitation, and discrimination (CANE+D). 'This enhanced protocol is a bold statement that we are a strong, unified village working in collective resolve to foster a nation where every Filipino child is protected, respected, and nurtured,' Gatchalian said in his message of support read by Undersecretary Monina Josefina Romualdez during the protocol's national launch at the Department of Justice (DOJ) main office in Padre Faura, Manila.

According to Philippines News Agency, the DSWD chief stressed that the enhancements made in the protocol will guarantee more clarity in the reporting mechanisms and address gaps in the case management of child victims, ensuring more unified and aligned actions in handling CANE+D cases. 'This document serves as a powerful tool to ensure that all Filipino children are protected both inside and outside their homes, whether online and offline, and that their rights are upheld and safeguarded, with the ultimate goal of advancing their holistic healing and creating a pathway for their full development with relevant case management,' Gatchalian said.

The revised protocol will guide all professionals and personnel handling cases of child abuse, neglect, exploitation, and discrimination. This covers, but is not limited to, law enforcement officers, healthcare providers, prosecutors, social workers, barangay officials, members of the Local Councils for the Protection of Children (LCPC), and other concerned personnel.

Gatchalian also praised the DOJ for its issuance of Department Circular No. 017 S. 2023, which grants statutory immunity to social workers who take custody of children victims. 'With this policy, all social workers who are duty bound to take temporary custody of children living in especially difficult or high-risk circumstances can now perform their task fully without fear of criminal cases being possibly filed against them,' he said.

Meanwhile, senior Justice Undersecretary Raul Vasquez said the revised protocol would help lift the lid on the reporting of child abuse incidents. He said the protocol would tap into local barangays as these 'barangays are in the best position to know what is happening in their areas and their neighborhood.'

The Child Protection Network's statistics of reported cases showed 12,930 incidents of violence against children last year, with 8,678 cases of sexual abuse/assault, or 67.12 percent; and 1,625 incidents of physical abuse/assault, or 12.57 percent. The first six months of this year saw 7,193 incidents so far.

Magsaysay awardee Dr. Bernadette Madrid noted that the figures are 'underreported.' She said that although the incidents occur in all social strata, there is significant underreporting in families that are well-off because of the perceived "shame" of reporting abuse.

The creation of the revised protocol was spearheaded by the Committee on the Special Protection of Children (CSPC), chaired by the DOJ and co-chaired by the DSWD. The CSPC serves as the primary inter-agency body responsible in ensuring that child protection laws are effectively implemented and legal standards for child victims are strengthened.

Also present in the event were representatives of the Commission on Human Rights, Council of the Welfare of Children, Bureau of Immigration, Philippine National Police, National Bureau of Investigation, departments of the interior, education, health, labor, and tourism, Child Protection Network, and the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund.