Higher Alert Levels, Pullout of Non-Essential PH Staff in Tehran Eyed

Manila: The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is planning to raise the alert levels in Iran and Israel as escalating conflict between the two nations entered its sixth day on Wednesday. Once a decision is out, DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose De Vega said the agency may 'temporarily' raise the alert level in Israel from 2 (restriction phase) to 3 (voluntary repatriation phase).

According to Philippines News Agency, the plan for Iran, currently under alert level 1 (precautionary phase), is to elevate the warning to 'voluntary repatriation phase.' 'Hindi pa mandatory kasi karamihan ng Pilipino doon will not go anyway because they're Filipino citizens with Iranian families (We cannot raise it to mandatory because most of the Filipinos there won't go home anyway, they have Iranian families there),' he said in a phone interview. 'So yes, there are plans and we'll update you. Once may memo(randum) na iyan, gagalaw na 'yong papeles nito para officially i-approve ni Secretary (Once there is a memo[randum] already, it would be up for the secretary's signature).'

De Vega also disclosed plans to pull out non-essential personnel at the Philippine Embassy in Tehran. On Monday, President Donald Trump issued an ominous message on his social media account saying 'Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon' and that 'everyone should immediately evacuate Tehran.'

De Vega said there are less than 20 personnel and officials manning the Philippine Embassy in Iran, including Ambassador Roberto Manalo, who is expected to stay behind. Some 14 Filipinos requesting repatriation will join the embassy staff should the evacuation plan push through, possibly via land crossing to neighboring Turkmenistan, which has an estimated travel time of 13 hours.

'Ang problema nga lang, paano nila ipu-pull out kasi ang layo layo ng Turkmenistan (The problem at present is how they are going to carry it out with the distance of Turkmenistan). But they're on it. They're on it. We'll report kapag may (if there is an) update,' he said.

Ambassador Manalo earlier said no Filipino has been hurt or killed in the continuous Israeli air strikes against Iran but security situation in Tehran remains tense. Some 150 Filipinos in Israel have previously signified their intention to leave the Jewish state as soon as possible.

At least 21 Filipino national and local government officials who are part of an Israeli government-sponsored study visit are also stuck in Israel as airspace remains closed. Of the 21, nine are mayors, four are vice mayors, two are party list representatives, two are regional directors, and four are Department of Agriculture officials. The Israeli international aid agency MASHAV earlier said they will cross Jordan and take their flight back to the Philippines from there.