Manila: The National Task Force to End Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) dismissed reports claiming that the body is a threat to the Philippine civic space. In a statement Sunday night, NTF-ELCAC Executive Director Undersecretary Ernesto Torres Jr. defended the task force's mission and stressed that it has actually opened democratic spaces and not closed them. He also challenged the global community to listen to the voices of victims, not just lobbyists.
According to Philippines News Agency, the report issued by UN Special Rapporteur Irene Khan last week, following a 10-day visit to the country in 2024, recommended the dismantling of NTF-ELCAC, citing concerns about alleged red-tagging and intimidation of civil society groups. Torres rejected the premise, saying what critics call red-tagging is often the exposure of facts.
Torres emphasized, 'It is not red-tagging when we quote casualty lists or arrest records of NPA (New People's Army) members who double as youth leaders in so-called national democratic organizations. When former rebels swear under oath about how legal fronts shield underground operations, that's not propaganda. That's truth. And truth demands accountability,' he stressed.
The NTF-ELCAC said it condemns irresponsible and baseless accusations but stressed that accountability should not be silenced by politically charged labels. 'The report calls it red-tagging, we call it lying when groups deny what they are -- despite the evidence,' Torres said.
He also cited the task force's work with schools, churches, and former rebel communities as evidence of its commitment to inclusive peace-building. 'Professors and students now sit in open forums with former rebels. Faith-based groups work with us in healing communities long torn by conflict,' he said. 'These are not signs of shrinking civic space -- they are proof of it expanding.'
Responding to the report's assertion that insurgency has been "diminished" and no longer justifies the task force's continued existence, Torres warned against complacency. 'CPP-NPA-NDF (Communist Party of the Philippines-NPA-National Democratic Front) recruitment is still ongoing, targeting minors and students,' he said. 'Legal fronts remain active in shielding the underground movement. Is this the moment to step back, or the moment to stay the course?' Torres asked.
NTF-ELCAC, created under Executive Order 70 in 2018, was designed as a whole-of-nation response to end the decades-old communist insurgency in the Philippines. Rather than relying solely on military action, the task force brings together agencies to deliver livelihood, education, and infrastructure in conflict-affected areas.
'Our mission is the product of 50 years of failed peace talks and broken promises. And now that we are seeing real results, we are being told to disband?' he asked. While acknowledging that 'no program is perfect,' Torres said the administration continues to pursue 'reforms, safeguards, and deeper consultation' to improve the task force's work. He warned against efforts to silence the voices of ordinary Filipinos who have lived through insurgency.