PCG Recovery Operations in Taal Lake Suspended Due to Bad Weather and Volcanic Eruptions

Batangas: The search for the missing 'sabungeros' (cockfight enthusiasts) in Taal Lake, Batangas has been put on hold following unfavorable conditions brought by bad weather and volcanic unrest, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Monday.

According to Philippines News Agency, 'all operations have been temporarily suspended due to the deterioration of prevailing weather conditions in the area. Primarily, there is significantly poor underwater visibility. However, all operating units remain on standby and are prepared to resume operations once weather conditions improve,' DOJ spokesperson Raphael Martinez said in a statement sent to reporters.

The search for the remains of the missing sabungeros in Taal Lake began on July 10 after whistleblower Julie 'Dondon' Patidongan claimed that more than 100 bodies of sabungeros were dumped in the lake.

According to the DOJ, more than 880 human skeletal fragments have been recovered so far, including three sets of human remains consisting of 264 bones.