Ilocos norte: The Provincial Health Office (PHO) of Ilocos Norte on Tuesday urged residents to observe minimum health standards to prevent the spread of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) amid a sharp increase in the number of cases.
According to Philippines News Agency, there have been 622 HFMD cases recorded in the province as of Sept. 5 this year compared to only 45 during the same period last year.
In an interview, Dr. Rickson Balalio, provincial health officer of Ilocos Norte, said he requested the conduct of an emergency meeting with the Local Health Board to discuss HFMD prevention and management measures. He said the invitation also extended to the Department of Education since most of those affected were students. "The transmission is fast because even those diagnosed [with HFMD] are still going to school," Balalio said. "They should isolate to mitigate the spread."
In Solsona town, in person classes have been suspended from Sept. 9 to 12, 2025 to disinfect schools and prevent the spread of HFMD, Balalio said. Upon the recommendation of the Local Health Board, all students, teachers, and non-teaching staff in Solsona were directed to undergo preventive quarantine from Sept. 9 to 14 while utilizing alternative learning modalities. An all-day curfew during the duration of the preventive quarantine would also be observed.
Based on PHO records, Solsona has the most number of HFMD-affected population with 155 cases, followed by Laoag with 86, Dingras with 53, and Batac with 48. According to health experts, HFMD is spread when infected saliva is transmitted by coughing, sneezing, or speaking. It may also spread by touching the eyes, nose, or mouth. HFMD symptoms include fever, canker sores, sore throat, or blisters on the hands or feet.