Manila: President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will thoroughly evaluate the proposed Konektadong Pinoy Bill once it reaches his desk, Malaca±ang said Monday, following concerns raised by telecommunications companies over potential national security and competition risks.
According to Philippines News Agency, Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro gave the assurance during a press briefing, although she said the Office of the President has yet to receive the final version of the bill for review. 'As of now, we have been informed that no document has been given to the Office of the President,' Castro said. 'But rest assured that the President will evaluate any provision stated in the said Konektadong Pinoy Bill.'
Castro said the President remains attuned to public interest and potential sectoral issues arising from the bill, which is part of the administration's priority legislative agenda. She emphasized that the President is listening to possible issues concerning the bill and will balance what is beneficial for the people, as well as consider if there are issues about national security or any negative impact on the telecom industry.
Telecommunication operators earlier warned that some provisions in the bill may weaken government regulatory powers and potentially threaten market fairness and national security. The Konektadong Pinoy bill, ratified by Congress last week, aims to expand internet access in the country by easing the entry of new players.