Top PH, US Security Executives Discuss West Philippine Sea in Washington Meeting

Manila: National Security Adviser (NSA) Eduardo A±o met with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Washington D.C. last week where they exchanged views regarding topics of mutual interest, including the West Philippine Sea (WPS), the National Security Council (NSC) said Monday.

According to Philippines News Agency, the two NSAs exchanged views on the regional security situation, particularly in the South China Sea (SCS) and West Philippine Sea (WPS), and future activities to further strengthen the alliance between the two nations in order to establish credible deterrence in the region. Rubio concurrently sits as the US' acting NSA, replacing Mike Waltz on May 1.

The meeting took place days before the scheduled meeting of Presidents Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and Donald Trump in Washington this week to deepen the two countries' strategic partnership, particularly on defense and economic cooperation. During their meeting, A±o and Rubio underscored the need to enhance deterrence in the SCS and WPS and the importance of maintaining peace and security in the region for the economic security of both the Philippines and the US.

The Philippine official stressed the inseparability of defense-security and economic security. Both officials also underscored the importance of engaging with traditional allies and other like-minded partners to ensure a rules-based international order and a free, open, and prosperous Indo-Pacific.

"The two NSAs expressed optimism for all future joint activities related to defense, security, and industrial cooperation and Secretary Rubio assured Secretary A±o of the US' ironclad commitment to the Philippines under the Trump administration," the NSC said.