Bacolod City Allocates PHP2 Million Financial Aid to Earthquake-Hit Bogo City

Bacolod city: This highly urbanized city is donating PHP2 million in cash to Bogo City, the worst-hit local government unit (LGU) by the magnitude 6.9 earthquake that rocked Cebu province on Sept. 30. 'I talked to the department heads. The city will donate PHP2 million to Bogo City. As soon as the paperwork is completed, we will turn over the check,' Mayor Greg Gasataya said in an interview Tuesday afternoon. Bacolod City is simply 'paying it forward' for all the assistance it has received from other local government units, he said.

According to Philippines News Agency, in the past month, Bacolod has also been a recipient of generous donations for about a thousand residents or 290 families of Barangay 27, who lost their homes to a fire on Sept. 12. Among the latest donors is Kabankalan City, which donated PHP300,000 for the fire-hit families, who have already begun rebuilding their houses this week. Kabankalan City Mayor Benjie Miranda personally turned over the check to village chief Freeman Madalag on Tuesday.

Aside from the financial assistance provided by the city government worth PHP2.865 million, the affected families will also receive cash aid of almost PHP4.3 million from the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development. Meanwhile, Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said Monday the provincial government will also extend financial assistance of PHP2 million to Bogo City. Since last week, the One Negros Response Team, composed of responders from the provincial government and nine LGUs in Negros Occidental, have been providing relief assistance, particularly potable water supply, to Bogo City and the adjacent municipalities.