Classes Suspended in Negros Oriental Towns Due to Heavy Rains

Negros oriental: At least two municipalities in Negros Oriental suspended classes on Friday as heavy rains from the southwest monsoon threatened flooding and landslides. Lt. Stephen Polinar, spokesperson of the Negros Oriental Police, told the Philippine News Agency that the towns of Siaton and Sta. Catalina are closely being monitored to ensure public safety.

According to Philippines News Agency, emergency responders in Siaton and Sta. Catalina are now monitoring rivers and other bodies of water that are susceptible to flooding. So far, there are no reports of flooding or rescue operations in these two towns. Sta. Catalina Police chief Capt. Edjel Tablate identified the villages of Mabuhay and San Francisco as priority areas, as both have a history of flooding.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) issued a heavy rainfall warning No. 1 for the Visayas region, including Negros Oriental, at 11 a.m. Friday. This alert covers the southwest monsoon or 'habagat' and cautions that flooding is possible in low-lying areas, while landslides may occur in mountainous regions. The weather bureau's 5 a.m. rainfall advisory said light to moderate to occasionally heavy rains are expected over Sta. Catalina, Zamboanguita, Siaton, Bayawan City, Basay, and Dauin.