Covid-19 Now ‘Ordinary’, Says NegOr Health Exec

Dumaguete: The coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) is no longer a serious public threat and is already considered an ordinary viral infection that is treatable, a Negros Oriental health official said Wednesday. Dr. Liland Estacion, Provincial Health Office (PHO) chief, gave the assurance amid media reports of mild Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong, Singapore, and other countries.

According to Philippines News Agency, Dr. Estacion noted that while Covid-19 cases still exist in the Philippines, including confirmed positive cases in the province through antigen testing, they are already considered non-reportable by the Department of Health (DOH). This change in reporting status reflects a shift in how the disease is managed and perceived in the region.

Dr. Estacion explained that due to Covid-19's non-reportable status, comprehensive reporting on cases is no longer possible, as many individuals opt for private antigen testing. Previously, the PHO maintained strict surveillance of Covid-19 cases across local government units and hospitals to manage the spread of the virus effectively.

Currently, Covid-19 is treated as a respiratory infection in the province, and there are no specific guidelines in place for addressing cases, Dr. Estacion stated. This marks a significant transition from earlier pandemic protocols that were rigorously enforced during the height of the health crisis.