Nartatez Set to Get 4-Star Rank as Torre Retires from PNP

Manila: Acting Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. is set to receive his four-star rank next week following the official retirement of his predecessor, Gen. Nicolas Torre III. "Wala pang schedule si Presidente (Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.), siya mismo ang magdo-don. Siguro anytime next week may donning na siya at saka proper turnover (President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. doesn't have a schedule yet, he himself will lead the donning of rank. Maybe anytime next week we'll have the donning and then a proper turnover)," Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla told reporters in Camp Crame on Wednesday.

According to Philippines News Agency, Nartatez is currently a three-star general holding the top police post in an acting capacity. Torre is now classified as retired in the PNP following his acceptance of his appointment as general manager of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Based on the PNP's General Orders dated Jan. 19, 2026, Torre was considered as "optionally retired" as of Dec. 26, 2025, citing the approval of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) as the basis.

With the approval, Nartatez is poised to become the PNP's full-fledged chief upon his promotion to four-star general. Only one official is allowed to hold a four-star rank in the PNP. Torre was appointed as PNP chief in May last year, the first graduate of the PNP Academy to hold the highest police post in the country. He was relieved in August reportedly over a dispute in the reorganization in the police force. Remulla said they would invite Torre to the turnover ceremony.