Manila: Malaca±ang on Tuesday expressed support for the plan to tap beneficiaries of the Department of Labor and Employment's (DOLE) Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced (TUPAD) as workers in the government-subsidized Kadiwa stores.
According to Philippines News Agency, in a press conference, Presidential Communications Officer and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro lauded the signing of the memorandum of agreement between the DOLE and the Department of Agriculture (DA) on the hiring of TUPAD workers for the wider rollout of Kadiwa ng Pangulo (KNP) outlets. 'Maganda po ang adhikain ng MOA (The goal of the MOA is good),' Castro said. 'Kaya po maganda po ito dahil makakapagbigay ng employment sa mga TUPAD members and at the same time, minimum wage po ang ibibigay sa kanila (It's good because it can provide employment to TUPAD members and at the same time, minimum wage will be given to them).'
Citing Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma's statement, Castro said the DOLE is ready to hire TUPAD workers for Kadiwa stores, adding they could work to a maximum of 90 days. More Kadiwa centers will be rolled out, as the government intends to sell PHP20 per kg. of rice to around 15 million poor Filipino households under 'Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na' Program. On June 13, at least 16,000 minimum wage earners in about 100 establishments benefited from the nationwide simultaneous launching of BBM Na for minimum wage earners.
Apart from more companies with BBM Na, the DA and DOLE will also allow labor unions and federations to roll out KNP programs. Seven labor organizations have so far been accredited for KNP operations, benefitting 152 members in Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Eastern and Central Visayas; while six more are targeted to be included from other regions. The DA also partnered with the Philippine Carabao Center to integrate 48 dairy box outlets for the continuous KNP expansion.